We have to work with the media
- July 22, 2016
- Posted by: wembe
- Category: Editorials
In the WIMEA-ICT project we recognize that the media plays a very important role in informing the general public. We are also cognizant of the fact that if all the useful information we unearth during our research investigations remains inaccessible by the stakeholders, there will hardly be any impact on society. We are therefore taking steps in harnessing the media such that our results get communicated widely.
In the last couple of months, a few activities have been undertaken including:
1. The Geophysical Institute of the University of Bergen organised a writing workshop for researchers to improve their writing skills.
2. Makerere University organised a media-training workshop for researchers to build their capacity in packaging their research findings so that it is attractive for a variety of media houses (print, radios, and televisions).
3. Makerere University organised a workshop for journalists who report on weather information in Uganda.
4. DIT hosted the Technology Transfer Alliance workshop, at which social entrepreneurship projects such as WIMEA-ICT were discussed.
5. DIT Signed a MoU with the Tanzania Meteorology Agency. We are grateful to all stakeholders for making these achievement possible.
I, therefore, urge the WIMEA-ICT students to desist from â€œhidingâ€ their research results in their academic cubicles. Let us instead increase awareness of our surroundings and use our research skills to design solutions that impact our communities. I particularly encourage all of us to take interest in working with media houses e.g. by reading about issues and responding scientifically with authority. Let us keep keeping on!
Dr. Julianne Sansa-Otim (PhD)
Project Principal Investigator